home about recipes how-to bookstore contact

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tuesday Toppers: Lighthouse Cupcakes

Tuesday Toppers: Lighthouse Cupcakes

I'm happy to report that we were able to fix the computer without too much pain ;D. And I was able to pull these cupcakes that I made for my mother-in-laws birthday out of my cupcake vault. She is a huge fan of lighthouses so these were the obvious choice for her! Today I am going to show you the basics of the lighthouses, but as you can see there are quite a few possibilities on how you can decorate them. Here's what you will need to make them:

lighthouse12

-Rolling pin
-Fondant smoother
-Knife
-Paint brush
-White, black, and red fondant

lighthouse10

-Take the white fondant and roll into a log.

lighthouse9

-With the fondant smoother make one end smaller than the other

lighthouse8

-take a small ball of red and flatten just slightly to form a fat disc.

lighthouse7

-take a larger ball of black and do the same.

lighthouse6

-For the top of the lighthouse take a ball of the black about the same size as the last piece and roll into a ball.

lighthouse5

-With your fingers make a cone/pyramid shape.

lighthouse4


lighthouse3

-For the stripes, roll out the remaining black fondant very thinly and cut into 1/8" strips.

lighthouse2

-Take the strips and decorate the white base as desired. Then attach the disc to the base, then the red, and finally the top cone.

lighthouse1 copy

-You can now beacon everyone to your cupcakes :D
Happy Tuesday, oops I mean, Wednesday Everyone!

26 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing - glad your computer is up and working ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are adorable! love the stripes on the lighthouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! you are back! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you use to cut your strips with? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do such a beautiful work! I've been following your blog for a while now, and I always enjoy looking at your tutorials. I do have a question, though, if you have time to answer it-- how do you color your fondant with such beautiful, brilliant colors? What type of food coloring do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute, I love these designs! If you're anything like me, you buy the dyed fondant, esp the red! I do dye my homemade chocolate fondant to make black though...

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO NICE!
    VISIT MY NEW BLOG http://snookysrecipedoodles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these! The whole set of them in the photo are absolutely precious.

    I have been following your blog for a while now, I even have it on my blogroll :)

    If you have time, please view my blog...I am new to food blogging and would appreciate any advice
    http://konichiwakupcakes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super big fan of yours!!! This just might be my favorite topper yet!!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing...you make the most awesome cupcakes and your tutorials are wonderful...thanks for the inspiration...LOVE these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hurray the computer is fixed! That's a really good looking lighthouse! Thanks for teaching us how to make one! Great post, as always! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are just wonderful - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really must compliment you on your toppers - I would never consider doing something like this if you didn't show just how simple it can be to do!
    Much appreciated, and impressed weekly!!!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah! Another adorable topper! Thank you so much for the tutorials, they are much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I happen to know a lighthouse nut, this may come in handy in the future. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for your wonderful tutorials, I have linked your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi, i've been following your site since louise of cake journal mention you in her site. would it be possible if you can share your buttercream recipe? i like the way it looks, very smooth and looks delicious.by the way,i tried your marshmallow fondant and love it, it even taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tooooooooooooo CUUUUUUUUUUTE! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been following your blog for a while now and your toppers are always awesome, but this ones with a sea breeze for me are the BEST ones! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hire our expert graphic design team to do the best design on your Custom 5ml Bottle Boxes that are just for you. It will give you free ideas for boxes.

    ReplyDelete