home about recipes how-to bookstore contact

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tuesday Toppers: Cake Cupcake

Tuesday Toppers: Cake Cupcake

I had such a great time this past weekend. We have an annual Johnny Appleseed festival near us that we go to every year and I was lucky enough to get to go both days! On top of that it was my sisters birthday weekend so I made her a cake (I hope to post it soon) and we went out for dinner to celebrate. Unfortunately I'm going to have to workout for the next two days straight to make up for all of the yummy food I ate over the weekend, lol. Now on to this weeks topper. I'm finishing up my series of cake cupcake toppers and showing you how to make the cake topper. Here's what you will need to make one.

caketopper11

- Fondant smoother
-Knife
-Paint brush and water
-White, light and dark pink, and red fondant.

caketopper10

-Take the white fondant and flatten just slightly.

caketopper9

-Pinch the top and bottom edges all the way around.

caketopper8

-Then take the fondant smoother and smooth it into a cake shape.

caketopper7

-Take both of the pinks and roll into thin ropes. ( I think I'm going to have to invest in a fondant extruder!)

caketopper6

-Take the light pink and zig zag it back and forth bunching it as you go, making it about 3/8" wide.

caketopper5

-Cut in half.

caketopper4

-Take the paintbrush and water and lightly go around the bottom of the cake. Next take on of the halves of pink and go around the base (it may not come up in once piece, and if it doesn't just piece together going around).

caketopper3

-Take the paintbrush and water and do the same around the top. Then take the darker pink fondant and make a scallop.

caketopper2


caketopper1

-For the cherries on top make 5-7 small balls of red and evenly place them on top of the cake with a little water.

cake cupcake topper

-Happy Tuesday Everyone!

10 comments:

  1. beautiful as always!!! Thanks for all your ideas!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, great work as per usual.
    What did u mean by "finishing up"...does this mean no more Tuesday Toppers? :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe that this is it. Your toppers have been a favorite of mine and have really inspired me to get creative with fondant. Please tell me that you are finishing the series so you can write a book...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my - this is just so cute - I love your toppers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh!! I love your toppers so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a big: AHHHHHHHHHHH.................................... from the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute!
    But as the others I am wondering - no more toppers?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please do mooooore toppers. They brighten our day. Thanks for the ones you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that is just beautiful! I love those cute, little cherries on top of the cake :D

    ReplyDelete