Saturday, February 21, 2009

Weekends in the Kitchen: Lemon Meringue Cupcakes


I've been in the kitchen testing out recipes for lemon cupcakes recently and think I have come up with a winner. All I can say is mmmmmmmmm these are yummy. They are a lemon cupcake with homemade lemon curd filling and a fluffy meringue style icing. It's like eating a lemon meringue pie without the crust.

Lemon Curd Recipe

Fluffy Meringue Frosting Recipe
The only alteration I made on this one was I only added about 1/4 tsp of vanilla because I didn't want too strong of a vanilla taste.

Now for the cupcakes themselves, this is the recipe i've been working on and it is still a work in progress. so if you'd like to take a stab at it and send me your feedback all comments are welcome!

Lovely Lemon Cupcakes

1/2 cup (1 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cups sugar
zest of 2 lemons
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Combine lemon juice and milk and set aside. Cream together butter and sugar until butter turns lighter in color, approx. 4 minutes. Add in lemon zest, sour cream, and eggs and mix until combined. Scrape down bowl. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients and mix until combined, then a 1/3 of the milk/lemon mixture and mix until combined. Continue to add a third of the dry and 1/3 of the wet until everything is incorporated.

Spoon into approx. 16 cupcake liners. Bake at 325F for 18-22 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

4 comments:

  1. These look sooooooooooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemon Meringue Pie is my fav, so I can't wait to try these cupcakes! Yum! They look so delicious, thanks for sharing! -e

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness!!!! I made these and they were awesome!!! Ok, I didn't make the lemon curd, bought that, but it was awesome!!!!! Did I say that already? LOL I can't say enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very yummy Julie, but how do you add the lemon curd filling? Just wondering.. Congrats on your awesome blog!!!

    ReplyDelete